Sunday, January 9, 2011

Still here!

Although I did not post any updates in a long time, I have been struggling away, both in the garden plot and a bit at the farm in France. Last summer was our second gardening season here in Switzerland. There's certainly enough room for improvement left, but we definitely did a lot better. It helped tremendously to know the climate and its tricks somewhat more. Also, weather-wise the summer of 2010 was far better than 2009.

Still, a rather extended cold and wet spell in the first two weeks of August didn't help the vegetables that had been planted for the fall/winter season. But, it did keep the green and yellow beans alive and productive for a longer time than normal. Beans were hence the success crop of the year--lucky for us we all love them!

It being winter now, there's little or nothing growing; some kale (most of which I harvested yesterday), cabbage and several overwintering allium variants excepted. However, I do try to spend some time in the garden regardless. I have been pruning the cherry tree, blackberries and the grapes. I tried to transplant some raspberry bushes that had a hard time surviving this summer. Most wood on those seemed dead, and I am not too optimistic. I guess I can only hope the roots are hardy enough and will be able to survive and thrive at a different, slightly more sunny place. I think it is the blackberries that were out-competing the raspberries, so I moved them quite a bit away.

Last year, I took some cuttings from a Josta-berry bush, and planted them. I planted 9 of them, and at least five are still surviving. They did not grow a whole lot last year--at least not visible above ground. That's expected, the first year they will use most of their energy to develop roots. I expect that the growth above ground will take off this year. If they survive another summer and do well I will move them to their definitive destinations. Some of them, I intend to plant on the farm in France.

Curiously, I have a red currant bush that has been grafted; the stem is a current like type, but does not grow any berries. This red currant bush is very productive, so it doesn't seem a bad strategy. I have taken several cuttings of this stem, and hope they will take. Once they grow big enough, I will try to graft some of the red currant stems one them.

Spending a January day in the garden can become somewhat unpleasant if it is too cold or humid. Today, the weather was not really something to complain about, but I figured it still wouldn't hurt to make a small fire:

And, as last, a picture of the view today. Yesterday, they sky was blue and it was clearer, alas, I did not bring my camera, so this one will have to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment