Monday, January 10, 2011

Starting seeds

For the last two years, I have grown the fast majority of my vegetables from seeds started in the garden. Most by directly planting them in the beds, the more sensitive ones in pots and flats to be transplanted later. Tomatoes have been the major exception; I bought a couple of plants last year and got some more from my brother-in-law.

Last year the results were quite a bit better than in 2009, mainly due to a rather warm April and beginning of May. The year before, there was still snow until the mid of April and soil temperatures remained cold. To play it save, and have some guaranteed produce in the first summer months (when longing for fresh vegetables is the strongest after a long cold winter) I am strongly considering starting seeds from a number of different vegetables in side this year in pots.

Since we are rather limited in space, living in a small appartment and have two boys with an abundance of destructive energy it will have to be a limited operation for now. I am considering getting four or maybe five trays maximum. I envision putting two in our living room close to one of our big windows (and maybe I can sneak in a third...). The others would go on our south-east facing balcony which gets quite a bit of sun, and where they will be protected from the worst cold. If there's cold spells, I could either move the balcony flats inside overnight, or use some protective covering.

It is still too early to get started, at least unless I want to have half a forest in our living room. We're quite a bit away from possible last frost dates, but it is never to early to starting thinking and planning. So, I am gearing up for a quick trip to the gardening center to get some seed starting trays and seed starting soil (which is actually not really soil). I strongly doubt I will be able to resist the urge to buy some more seeds while at the gardening center; like I need any more....

No comments:

Post a Comment