Saturday, July 25, 2009

Nice harvest

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time this week to visit the garden. Either the weather was too bad, or our schedule too tight. I will probably have time to go later this afternoon, and for a more substantial period tomorrow.

Regardless, I already had a good gardening day today -- I visited the used books section at the thrift shop on the other side of the road and scored four books.

The first one is a 45 year old book on the growing of strawberries; the book isn't too big but enough to have information from beginner level to experts. Lets hope the knowledge will help me to boost next years strawberry harvest!!









The second one I found is about pruning fruit trees. I have still quite a bit to learn in that department, so it is a very useful find. It has a surprisingly large section about the different tools to be used for pruning so I guess I'll have some
more things to add to my Christmas list. I will also still
need to find some literature about the pruning of soft fruit bushes, though that seems to be a little more trivial then the trees.






The third book I scored is one with 88 tips for the
vegetable gardener, lots of illustrations and schemes. It also seems to
go nicely into the different diseases and afflictions of and the potential remedies or ways to prevent those.









The nicest book I found is one which is titled "Old Garden Knowledge Newly Discovered" (that's a rough translation). It seems to be a collection of small facts and tips; one that astonished me a bit is the recommendation to bury some sweet water fish under tomato plants. I am sure there will be lots of these little facts. Even if I won't use them, it will probably be an interesting and amusing read.






As an afterthought, they are, evidently, all in German. It will take me a while to read through them -- and I seem often to get stuck in getting which particular fruit/vegetable they talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment