Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pruning soft fruit bushes and trees

I spend quite a lot of time on the allotment this weekend, yesterday about two and a half hours for the pruning course, today about a hour to clean up a bit. I would have stayed a while longer but it started to rain, and with the temperatures around freezing, I called it a day.

Just having taken over an allotment which has quite a few soft fruit bushes and trees growing in it since a couple of years, I decided to follow a short, hands-on course in pruning them. There is certainly an abundance of books and on-line material available on the subject, but I figured that nothing would be better than seeing the actual pruning in practice and the possibility to ask questions.

The course was organized by the organization taking care of the allotments, and about 8 plot-holders, including me, turned up. It was a very pleasant surprise to learn that we would actually visit the eight plots, and the course leader would prune something on each, and give advice. Due to juniority, both in age and plot holdership, and my plot being a bit further away than most, it was decided mine would be visited last. This didn't bother me the least, since although it was cold the sun was out for the first time in ages, and I was fortunately dressed warmly.

While visiting the other plot holders sites I not only learned how to prune older apple trees and how to re-vitalize 30 year old vines, something I probably won't have to do in the near future, I also managed to pick up cuttings of black currants, red gooseberries and blue berries. With a bit of luck, I should be able to harvest from these in two to three years.

When we finally arrived to my allotment, it turned out that my vines had apparently been neglected last year. They got rigorously cut back (if there's one thing I learned it that: prune rigorously -- you might end up with a bit less fruit this year, but will profit for years to come!), I'll have to attach them soon to their support and guide them properly to get the best results. I was told that in three to four years I should expect 80-100 kg of grapes. I certainly don't have a clue what to do with that many!!

I got some quick advice on pruning my blackberries, raspberries and red currants. My tiny apple tree got even smaller, I was told not to let it grow more then 10-15 apples so that most of its energy would be directed into growth and strengthening. One of my two 'mystery' trees got identified as a cherry tree and also got the appropriate hair cut. The other tree of unknown species will probably produce damsons, though due to translational issues it could be another prune variant. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment