Sunday, January 11, 2009

A cold hour on the allotment

New things are always fun and thus, even though there was not really anything useful to do, I walked down the road and spend an hour on the allotment. I was also curious to know how long it would take by foot; our first visit was by car.

Walking normal speed it is just a bit more than 15 minutes, which I consider very reasonable. I was afraid it would take more then 30 minutes, but walking there's a short-cut which is not available to cars. When going alone, I will probably take my bike most of the time. With the kids, it would be nice to be able to go by foot instead of having to take the car. If it takes me 15 minutes, we'll be able to be there in half an hour when we take them which is still fine, would it have been a lot longer it would probable have forced us to take the car to go, which would be a pity.

I spend my time there by sweeping the snow of the stone path and rummaging around a bit. We are lucky that the previous owner left us quite a few tools. There is a rather complete set that can be used while working on the knees. Not quite what I had in mind, but probably handy once the plot has been sorted out, vegetables are growing and weeds just need to be kept in check.

There is also what is needed in normal tools that can be used standing upright, but 3 or 4 of those have their shafts broken. Either they have been accumulating over the years, and been replaced by tools that have been taken away, or the earth must be a bit harder to work with than I hoped. It is certainly hard to say now, everything is frozen solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment