Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Clementine whiskey confiture

Last Sunday I accompanied my wife to a local market, here in France where we are staying for the holidays. It was nice, though a bit cold. Lots of local produce on the stands, including different kinds of honey, dried sausages, regional cheese variants etc. There were a couple of fruit stands as well and we ended up with a rather large bag of clementine mandarins.

To finish of the year, and the bag of clementines, I decided to make some nice marmelade with them today. I quartered them and cut the parts into small pieces. I weighted them, and added the same amount in sugar. I had ended up with 1 kg (2 lbs.), so 1 kg of sugar -- and I added 150 mls (roughly 10 tablespoons) of water. After cutting as much of the white stuff as possible of half the peels, I cut them up into zests and added them to the slowly warming sugar and clementine parts. Quickly brining it all to a boil, and then bioloing for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

For the last 10 minutes I added a similar amount of whiskey as I had added water. The result is 6 nice pots of confiture, one of which I will be enjoying for New Years Eve!!! To be a bit ahead of time, I labled them with etiquittes dates Jan. 1st 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment